Pserimos (or Kapari) is a small island, belonging to the Dodecanese and is, from antiquity, a municipality of Kalymnos. It is located southeast of Kalymnos and covers an area of 14.6 square kilometers.
In 1922 the island had 300 residents and a six-member school. Today (2018), Pserimos has 28 permanent residents and the school is now closed. In winter the transportation is difficult, and in summer it is connected to the nearby islands daily.
The island has many low hills and small valleys with plenty of olive trees. The northern end of the island is called "Accra Basilica", while the southernmost is "Accra Roussa". The village is located on the west side, where there is also Pserimos bay.
The main occupation of the island's inhabitants is fishing and farming. Pserimos is connected by ferry to both the island of Kalymnos and to Kos, with a distance of 7.3 nautical miles.
There is a 5 acre municipal camp in Pserimos, which hosts Scout groups from all over Greece and abroad.
You can reach Pserimos only via a nearby island (such as Kalymnos or Kos), by sea taxi.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 was the last day of operation at Pserimos Primary School, as the last student of the school graduated. Since then, efforts have been made to provide remote education. Unfortunately, however, the whole project never went ahead, as the ministry did not approve it, sinking residents into frustration.
The island was included in the "islands of Kalidna" mentioned in Homer's "New Catalog", along with the other islands in the region of Kalymnos. The islet is referred to by Pliny as Pserema among the islands of the Keramicos Gulf.
The name Psirimos was saved, in the lost inscription today, that William Roger Patton saw in the church of the island village in 1888: "Someone in Psirimo ...". The inscription mentions, among other things, the lords of Kos (monarchs, serfs, priests and priests), indicating the island's dependence on Kos in the 3rd century BC, where the inscription dates.