The imposing church of Saint Nicholas is located in Pothia of Kalymnos and is the patron saint of the island. It was built in 1860-1875 and belongs to the architectural type of the three-aisled basilica with a dome. The decoration of the temple, its location, its architecture and its size reflect the social and economic edge of the island at the end of the 19th century.
The interior decoration of the temple is particularly impressive with paintings of Western style, depicting saints and scenes from the life of Christ. Also remarkable is the majestic Episcopal throne of 1912 of white marble and the marble temple.
The church of Saint Nicholas has been declared a protected monument because of its architectural, social and artistic significance.