The Sandrapia Civil School is a 1903 building located next to the Church of Saints Constantine and Helen and is the most important educational institution on the island.
The school has hosted generations of students, fulfilling the dream of their benefactor; to keep the island's population as unaffected as possible over time and not to desert the island.
The courtyard of the school is pebbly and the crater caused by a projectile that probably fell during World War II is still preserved. It is a tall, impressive building with a remarkable history.
The inhabitants of the island showed great care for spiritual education by establishing schools, such as the Sandpipe School.
The building was founded by Lucas and Anastasia Sandraps and was inaugurated on June 7, 1903 at their own expense. The founder was a trader from Egypt and was born (in 1852) and lived in Kastellorizo during his early teens. The University of Athens has been a model of architecture for the School, since the facade of the building is a copy of it.
Initially, it functioned as an eighth grade school with more than 300 students until World War II. After the war, she resumed her role in the ideology of inter-teaching and her teachers came from the island, Athens, Rhodes, but also from Smyrna and Constantinople.